Course Drop Procedure

The decision to drop a course can greatly impact a student’s success in meeting their educational goals. Reaching out to an academic advisor will assist students in making the best decision for their enrollment.

Students must communicate with their advisor to begin the drop process. Advisors are available to meet with you at an SPS Learning Center, by phone or through email. If you are unsure of your assigned advisor, please login to your Degree Works audit tool in Cardinal Apps and click on the ‘Advisor Name’ listed within the ‘Student View’ section. Or contact an advisor through our general student email at or by calling (210) 702-2402 to be directed to your advisor.

Drop/Withdrawal Policy

Students are not dropped or withdrawn from courses if they do not attend class. To qualify for a refund or reversal of charges you must drop or withdraw from class officially by following the process below before the deadlines. Notifying an instructor or failing to attend class does not constitute an official drop or withdrawal from a course nor does it eliminate the student’s financial responsibility for course payment.

  • An administrative fee of $50 per class will be assessed if a student drops a class.
  • Tuition is refunded at 100% (minus a $50 administrative fee per class) if the student drops before the end of the first week of classes (in writing before Friday at 5 p.m.).
  • Students may withdraw up to the end of the sixth week (in writing before Friday at 5 p.m.) without academic penalty. An administrative fee of $50 per class will be assessed. The student is responsible for full tuition as well. A grade of W will be issued.
  • It is not possible to withdraw from a three-semester-hour course after the sixth week. A course dropped by the end of the first week of class will not be on your permanent record. Withdrawal from a course before week seven and after week one will result in a permanent grade of “W.

Students withdrawing from UIW may be required to repay some of the federal grants and/or loans. The federal formula requires a return of Title IV aid if the student received federal financial assistance in the form of a Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), TIP Grant, Federal Stafford Loan or PLUS loan and withdrew on or before completing 60% of the semester. The percentage of Title IV aid to be returned is equal to the number of calendar days remaining in the semester divided by the number of calendar days in the semester. Scheduled breaks of more than four consecutive days are excluded. If any funds remain after the return of Title IV aid, they will be used to repay UIW funds, state funds, other private sources and the student in proportion to the amount received from each non-federal source as long as there is no unpaid balance at the time of withdrawal. If there is an unpaid balance, all aid sources will be repaid before any funds are returned to the student.