Skip to content Skip to menu
Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of some of some of the most commonly asked questions?

Are grades of D accepted in the Core Curriculum, major/concentration, or minor?

You may make a grade of D in the Core Curriculum unless the course is also used in your major, concentration, or minor. Grades of C or better are required in ENGL 1311, ENGL 1312, and in addition for BBA majors MATH 1304. A minimum GPA of 2.00 is required for graduation.

Can I get copies of documents from my files in the Registrar's Office?

Once you are admitted and register for classes, documents submitted for admission are considered the property of UIW and may not be copied for release to the student. If you need copies of the documents submitted, you will need to contact the institution from which the documents were sent.

Can I get my friend's phone number, address, and schedule?

Because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we are restricted in what we can release about our students and to whom. We can provide the phone number and address of the student unless the student has a confidentiality block. Student schedules are not considered directory information and will not be released to the public.

Can I get my grades on the web?

Using your PIN, you may view your semester grades or transcript on-line via the web. If you have a hold in the Business Office, you will not be able to view your grades and must contact the Business Office to remove the hold. You may view grades at

Can I get my grades or GPA over the phone?

Because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we cannot release your grades or your GPA over the phone. This information is available to you through the web or you must submit, in writing, a request to your advisor.

Can I participate in the Commencement ceremonies if I only lack six hours this summer?

To participate in the graduation ceremonies, a student must have registered for and remain enrolled in all required courses necessary for graduation prior to or during the same semester in which s/he intends to graduate. Students who receive grades of F, IP, or W in required courses in the semester in which they intend to graduate will be listed in the Commencement program and may participate in the ceremony. However, their date of graduation is the next conferral period. August candidates participate in the December graduation ceremonies.

Can I repeat a UIW course by taking the course at another institution?

Courses may be repeated, thereby removing the first attempt from the grade point average calculation. Only UIW courses can replace courses recorded at UIW. Transfer work, CLEP, or departmental examination cannot be used to repeat a course recorded at UIW. The highest grade earned will be used in the calculation of the grade point average. Courses used to repeat recorded grades must be the exact course (i.e., same course number and title) of the original course for which the repeat is intended. While other courses may substitute for degree course requirements, they will not remove the original recorded grade from the grade point average calculation.

Can I take classes at UIW and SAC (or another college) at the same time?

You may take classes at UIW and SAC (or another college) at the same time if you receive approval to do so. You must complete the "Request to Study at Another Institution" form and receive approval prior to enrolling elsewhere. Please be reminded that enrollment at UIW and another college could affect your financial aid.

Can I take a course at another institution during my last semester at UIW?

Of the final 45 semester hours required for your degree, 36 must be completed in residence at UIW. You may not take work at another institution during your final semester at UIW.

Do I need my advisor's signature to change my schedule?

You will need your advisor's signature to both register and change your schedule.

How can I find out how many hours I have completed?

You may view your unofficial transcript on-line via the web to review your cumulative statistics. The hours you have earned through your enrollment at UIW and those that transferred and have been evaluated are available on-line. You may view evaluated work on-line at

How do I get a UIW catalog and schedule of classes sent to me?

You should have received a catalog at your first admissions appointment. You may contact the SPS Office and request that a catalog and/or schedule be mailed to you.

How do I get a copy of my transcript?

You may download a copy of the transcript request form and send that form to the Registrar's Office or you may send a written request to the Registrar's Office. The address is: Office of the Registrar, University of the Incarnate Word, 4301 Broadway CPO 304, San Antonio, TX 78209. Unofficial transcripts are available on-line at

How do I get a degree plan?

Degree plans for SPS students are issued after a student has made an appointment with an advisor. An official degree plan will be issued after all transcripts have been received. Usually after your first semester with UIW. Official degree audits are issued when the student has applied to graduate. Students should apply to graduate no less than one year prior to the anticipated date of graduation. If you are in your final year of enrollment, you should download the Application for Graduation (PDF Version) and visit with your advisor. NOTE: to apply for graduation, you must have completed your community service hours.

How do I know if you have received my transcripts?

When we receive your transcripts, they are evaluated and posted to your academic history record. You may view the evaluated courses on-line using your PIN in the secure log-in area at

How do I know what courses transferred and how they count toward a degree?

When we receive your transcripts, they are evaluated and posted to your academic history record. You may view the evaluated courses on-line using your PIN in the secure log-in area at We will also send you and your advisor a copy of the Transfer Articulation Sheet that shows your transferred courses as well as the UIW equivalent courses.

How do I register for a class that is closed ?

Each class has a limit on the number of students allowed to register for the class. To prevent this from happening, register early. If the class you want is closed, your only option is to obtain approval from your advisor who will contact the instructor for permission.
The limit is based upon the space limitations of the room selected for the class. In many cases, the room cannot be changed, therefore the limit will be upheld.

How do I protest a grade I received?

The grades you receive each semester are considered final and are rarely over-turned. However, if you believe that you received a grade in error, you must initiate your appeal through the instructor of the course. If there is no resolution with the instructor, the official appeal process goes through the Dean of the School of Professional Studies whose decision is final. All appeals must be in writing. See you advisor for the detailed appeal process and paperwork.

How long do I have to complete a grade of IP?

The instructor issuing the IP will set the time given to complete the course when completing the IP Request form. Undergraduates must complete their work for which an IP grade was recorded within six months. Students who have applied to graduate must complete the IP course work by the last day to add or register for the semester during which they plan to graduate.

How will my transfer work be counted?

A course that is normally considered part of a bachelor’s degree program will be accepted in transfer. A course with a grade of less than C will not be accepted in transfer. Grades for all courses that are normally considered part of a bachelor’s degree program, regardless of whether or not they transfer, will be used to determine the transfer grade point average. The cumulative GPA is based upon all hours attempted, regardless of the grade earned, and to include both transfer and UIW credits.

How long does it take to receive a degree audit once I apply to graduate?

It takes approximately four to six weeks to receive the degree audit once you apply to graduate and if you apply according to the deadline on the application. After you receive your audit, you and your advisor will need to work through any deficiencies noted by the deadline indicated on the audit.

How many hours are needed to determine full-time status?

A minimum of 6 semester hours per SPS term is required for full-time status. You must hold full-time status to qualify for many financial aid packages. You may view your cumulative GPA and hours earned on-line at

How many hours are required for a degree?

Bachelor degrees require a minimum of 120 semester hours for graduation.

How many tickets will we receive for Commencement?

The number of tickets issued each year is dependent upon the number of students graduating. We must assume that all students want to participate and plan accordingly. Tickets for those who indicate that they are not participating are reissued to those who need more tickets. The exact number of tickets issued is determined after the last day to register or add for the semester during which Commencement ceremonies are held.

Is there class on Wednesday before Thanksgiving (or Thursday before Easter)?

Classes do not meet on Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving. Classes do meet on Thursday before Easter.

What classes transfer from SAC (or any other institution)?

Courses that are considered "college level" (not remedial, developmental, or vocational/technical) will transfer to UIW. Refer to the Transfer Equivalency link for the San Antonio area schools on the UIW website.

What are advanced hours?

Advanced hours are those courses that are considered junior or senior at UIW. The first number of the UIW course determines whether or not the course is considered advanced. At UIW, number that starts with a "3 or 4" is considered advanced. All undergraduate degrees require 42 advanced hours. In no instance will a course taken at a junior/community/two-year college satisfy the advanced level requirement. While a course taken at a junior/community/two-year college may satisfy the degree requirements, thus substituting for the advanced course, it will not be used in the calculation of the required advanced hours.

What is the Community Service requirement?

he first Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word who came to San Antonio to minister to the sick and the poor were motivated by the Love of God and their recognition of God's presence in each person. It is in this spirit that the Community Service requirement was created and each student is required to serve others. Students may satisfy this graduation requirement by: selecting volunteer opportunities posted by Campus Ministry, taking courses designated as service learning courses, or a combination of volunteer opportunities and service-learning courses. Students are encouraged to discuss with their advisors, early in their university experience, the options for fulfilling the Community Service requirement and the method of documenting their service.

What is the difference between transfer work and inter-institutional work?

Through a cooperative agreement with Our Lady of the Lake University and St. Mary's University, UIW students may enroll at either of these institutions and the work will count at UIW as though it were taken in residence. Enrollment in these courses satisfy the residency requirement and count in the students' GPA. Transfer work (to incomplete credit by examination) does not satisfy residency requirements and will not count in the GPA.

When is the final Community Service hours required for graduation?

Community Service hours are required by the last day to add or register during your last semester. Forty-five hours of Community Service are required, of which 30 must be completed off campus. Placement assistance is available through our Campus Ministry Office. Your Community Service must be documented to satisfy graduation requirements. We encourage you to complete your Community Service requirements early in your academic career to prevent compliance problems during your final, very busy semester.

When do classes start?

Please refer to the SPS academic calendar for exact dates. Class times are 5:30 pm to 7:40 pm and 7:50 pm to 10:00 pm for weekday classes. Saturday classes are 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.

When is Commencement rehearsal?

Commencement rehearsal is the Thursday prior to the Commencement ceremonies. The rehearsal last one hour and provides information about the order of the ceremony, seating assignments, and line-up. Tickets for the ceremonies are distributed at the conclusion of rehearsal.

When is the last day to complete requirements for my degree?

The final day for completing all work for your degree is noon on the Friday before the ceremonies.

When is the last day to drop a class or withdraw from the University?

Please refer to the SPS academic calendar for drop and withdraw dates.

When is the last day to drop a class and receive a 100% refund?

Students have until Friday of the first week before 5:00 PM to drop and receive 100% refund. The request must be done in writing. Speaking with an instructor WILL NOT drop or withdraw you from a course.

When is the last day to register or add a class?

Weekday classes: Students may register for or add a class before the second class meeting. Saturday classes: Students may not add or register for Saturday classes if the first class has already met.

When should I apply to graduate?

Undergraduate should apply to graduate when they have accumulated 90 semester hours or are starting their Senior year. You must have all 45 hours of community service completed and documented before you may apply for graduation. The Application for Graduation requires your advisor's signature. Refer to the deadlines posted on the application so that you will receive a timely review. After you receive our audit, you and your advisor will need to work through any deficiencies noted by the deadline indicated on the audit.

Where can I get a copy of my schedule ?

You may print a copy of your schedule by going to the UIW on-line registration screen at You will need to know your PIN and go into the secure area. From there, you can print your schedule through either a screen-print (if off campus) or, if on a networked printer, through the print command on the web menu bar.

Where can I find the requirements for my degree?

The requirements for your degree are listed in the University Bulletin. When you apply to SPS an unofficial degree plan, listing the degree requirements, is prepared for you.

Where can I get a copy of the UIW Bulletin?

Our Bulletins can be downloaded from the main UIW website and are distributed through the learning center office or the main SPS offices. When you are admitted, you will receive a copy of the catalog appropriate to your admission (date and level).

Who is my academic advisor?

Your academic advisor is an official with the University who will serve as your mentor to guide you through the registration process, schedule selection, degree selection, and, hopefully career or graduate school selection. This is usually the first person you met and the person who evaluated your degree plan. You may change advisors by completing a Change of Major/Advisor form. These can be obtained at your learning center or download it from the ADCaP website.

Why do you have registration deadlines?
Registration deadlines allow us to conduct the business of the University. Once the last day to add or register occurs, for example, we notify financial lenders that students are enrolled so that they will disburse funds to the University to cover your tuition. Many planning activities occur after the passage of significant deadlines. For this reason, we steadfastly enforce all deadlines.

Why don't Academic Literacy or ESL courses count toward my degree?

Courses that apply toward a degree must be college level. Academic Literacy and ESL courses are valuable courses because they prepare students for the rigors of college level work. We want to assist our students attain competency in our courses and have developed these courses for that purpose. The courses do count toward the hours earned; however, do not satisfy the required hours (120) for graduation.

Why doesn't my PIN work?

The functions you may access through the web are for students, faculty, and employees. These functions require a password, or PIN (Personal Identification Number), which is assigned to you by the University.
Upon first entry into the secure area of web registration, you will be prompted to change your PIN to a password of your choice. Be sure you write your new PIN down so that you will remember it. You cannot go beyond the login screen without resetting your PIN. You will be prompted to verify your PIN after the initial entry. To verify your PIN, re-enter your new PIN at the prompt. After three attempts of entering the wrong PIN, your PIN will become inactive and will no longer work.

Why doesn't UIW hold Commencement ceremonies somewhere else?

UIW is rich with tradition and history which contributes toward the excitement dignity of the Commencement ceremonies. The Processional winds through the heart of the campus, across the bridge, and into the Convocation Center, encouraging students to recall fond memories and thrill at the excitement to come. The Administration firmly believes that holding Commencement on campus is important to students because of the association many have with the sights and sounds of the campus.

Will a grade of D transfer to UIW?

Grades of D or lower will not be accepted in transfer. This policy applies for new students transferring to UIW and to UIW students who take classes at other institutions after matriculating at UIW.


Info Session Webinars

Watch an on-demand Information Session webinar

Learn about our benefits, degree programs, admissions process and more.

View available webinars

Monthly SPS Newsletter

Stay Connected! The Cardinal Monthly E-Newsletter is your source for the latest news, updates, and announcements within the School of Professional Studies and other campus-wide events.

Read Now

Apply and Register

SPS Fall II term starts
October 13, 2018
Application deadline: Oct. 7
Course Registration

Email us to get started or apply today!

Personal Development

UIW Online Course Registration

Earn certificates or valuable career training for areas including Legal Studies, Personal Trainer, IT, Healthcare, Business & more!  

View List of Courses